Saturday, May 3, 2014

Old Testament Study: Student Choice Assignment

This week for my Old Testament class, we are asked to pick a topic to study about in the Old Testament. I chose to post my findings here.

Choice 2: 1 Kings 3–4. “A Wise and an Understanding Heart”

I think Solomon's decision to pray for a wise and understanding heart was a great one. It was a selfless request. In my mind, he wanted to be a good leader to his people. In order to do this, he recognized the need to be more than he already was. It shows his understanding, at the time, of how the Lord works that he was willing to pray and ask for this thing. I know at times I feel like strengths that I want to possess are things that I have to work on by myself, but if we pray faithfully to the Lord, he can help us to overcome weaknesses. More worldly people could have asked for more riches, more land, more power, the strength to conquer enemies, etc.

Solomon demonstrated this in his understanding of how to reconcile the issue of the two women fighting over the infant. Through the power of discernment, he was able to rightly figure out who the mother of the child was.

According to the scriptures, we ought to earnestly seek to cherish the best gifts. We can ask the Lord for help to be strengthened in these gifts, but we must also work personally to obtain them.


No comments: